Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A criminologist’ Diary-6

Ex-husbands and ex-wives in plenty

Ex mla,Ex minister-such expressions are familiar to Malayalees because the number of such personalities in the State is really incredible. I do not think that in our culture, we have heard of ex-husbands and ex-wives. But, here in USA, ex-husbands and ex-wives are plenty and I could see an ex-husband and ex-wife smiling in a birth day party here. Just a couple of days ago, my son-in-law told me about the sad and premature demise of the present wife of his associate in the office. He said that his colleague was really very melancholic because he has been living with her for 22 long years-really long years which, as a general rule, cannot be thought of by many Americans.

Delores Bohman from Ohio was known to me for the last 40 years and she has three children, Deb, Dan and Don. Her husband Lowell L.Bohman died of cancer on October 31, 2010.They had a pleasant family life and such families are not many. Amidst those ex-husbands and ex-wives, there are good souls living together for twenty or twenty five years and the family of the associate of my son-in-law belonged to that rare community.

What about Kerala? It has been observed by the sociologists that the family is an institution most disrupted in the State today. Divorces are going up, desertions are very high, and separation is in vogue besides the disorganized families everywhere owing to several factors-visible and invisible. Long ago, I wrote a number of articles about the rising trend of divorces in Kerala. At that time, there was only one family court in Thiruvananthapuram and it attended to family cases from Thiruvananthapuram and Kollam districts. Now, family courts are established and functioning in many thalukas and the work load is really very heavy in every court. Incidentally, I may recollect my experience. After enrolling myself as an Advocate before the Bar Council of Kerala, I was seated in my office in Thiruvananthapuram. A lady and her daughter came to me for legal advice and they wanted immediate divorce. I said that I could not take up the Vakkalath as divorce cases did not come in my area of practice. Also, I did not want to give legal advice to a divorce case as my first case. Being in police, I had many occasions to interact with couples and I do not exactly remember the number of family disruption cases compromised by me.

The reason for the incredible increase in family disruption may be many and various and enumerating them here is not the objective of this blog. I am very much afraid and am terribly upset and frightened to notice the incredible increase in divorces, desertions and separations in family life in Kerala. Are we going to increase the number of ex-husbands and ex-wives amidst us? What about our children then? Yes, when the values are westernized, certainly the family will be westernized. Home, SWEET HOME may be a home in our dreams and not in reality in the near future!?

No comments:

Post a Comment